Monday, May 4, 2009

Making Your Home Sing Monday: Deep Freeze!!!

Making your home sing Mondays

So, I realized this weekend I am a grown-up. And not just a little bit...a big HONKIN' grown-up. We are getting a deep freeze (a chest freezer for non-southerners) and I am completely psyched! For the past 5 years I have dealt with the skinny excuse for a freezer on the side-by-side fridge that came with our house. My head is filled with the amazing things I will be able to do with a freezer......freezing casseroles, milk on sale, meat on sale, fzv veggies on sale...ok,anything I can find on sale and get in a freezer bag is going in this bad boy! So, how is this going to make my home sing you ask? In all seriousness, I really do think I can save us money with it. My hubby is NOT a fan of leftovers, so my recipes that tend to make more than we can eat (like chicken spaghetti) I plan to freeze half of it for a later meal then it isn't "technically" leftover. I also plan to put up a lot from my garden as well as corn and purplehull peas from nearby. Anyone have any wonderful suggestions for ways to make my home sing with a freezer????

Head on over to Momstheword for other great Making Your Home Sing suggestions!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you can save money with your freezer, even if your husband won't eat leftovers (which you can serve to you and your children as lunch or you can reuse in a "new" meal and he'll not feel like he's eating leftovers)...seriously. You can buy the huge can of spaghetti sauce for something like $3...cook up a bunch of sauce and meat and freeze it in jars to have ready when you want to make a quick meal. You can buy meats and things on sale and stock up. You can make up a huge batch of your own refried beans and freeze it. You can freeze your own home-made chicken stock from whenever you have a roast chicken (I save bones in the freezer til I have three carcasses, then I boil them down together). P.S. I'm now 45 and if a freezer is a sign of growing up, I didn't grow up until I was 42! Yay, me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoebe at Cents To Get Debt Free (look on my left sidebar for the link) is going to be doing a post one of these Fridays on Freezer Cooking.

    Just google OAMC (once a month cooking) and you will find lots of recipes or artiles on it.

    "Frozen Assets" is a book you can check out from the library. They have several OAMC books.

    I have a recipe on my blog for a casserole that I make and freeze ahead. I also freeze chicken and broccoli casserole and I like to freeze turkey soups, chili, etc.

    If you freeze milk pour out a little of it before you freeze it so it has room to expand.

    I buy ground turkey in bulk and then divide it up into 1 lb. packages. I also freeze other sale meats as well, like you said.

    Check out my left sidebar and go to "Want What You Have." Heather has lots of great ideas that might help you.

    I am excited for you! BTW, organizedhome.com has a section of forms that has forms for a freezer inventory that might come in handy!

    Thank you for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got our chest freezer (yes, I'm a northerner!) :) a couple of years ago and it has saved us lots of money. I like to cook dried beans ahead of time, bag them up (about a can's worth in each little baggie), and then bag them up into a larger freezer bag. It's much cheaper than buying them canned. I also rotate my food as I put it into the freezer, so that the older food is nearer to the top and I use it first. Cooking a double meal is really a good idea. It's like having a healthy frozen dinner in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also have a freezer and the ladies shave given you wonderful tips . . . just shop with coupons and stock up when things are on sale. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna! I came over from Momstheword! Girl, where are you from? I'm a NC native and I totally get the "deep freezer" comment. Ha. That is all I've ever called it.

    I wish I was as driven! I have a stand up freezer in an old wash house outside. I NEVER GO IN THERE ... therefore, I don't utilize it.

    Best wishes! Fill it up Sister! (Nice to meet another Sister in Christ.)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am right here with you on this. Hubby is NOT a fan of leftovers, but being able to cook ahead and be prepared - fantastic!!! One of our goals this year is to get a freezer and do the same thing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I've got a deep freeze too :) LOL!
    Thank you so much for dropping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. Made my day. :)
    God bless ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you should see my stand alone freezer- filled with stuff I bought on sale. :) I only wish it was bigger!!

    ReplyDelete