Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What's in my alabaster jar?

My quiet time text a few mornings ago came from Matthew 26 and is the beautiful account of Mary anointing Christ with expensive perfume from an alabaster jar. The devo came out of my new Bible (which I have to girlishly add is a pretty green and blue). It talked about the sacrifice Mary made as it shared about the display of "Extravagant Love" she had shown Jesus. It was likely this jar was the most valuable thing she owned, and she gave it to Him. Not just gave it to him, but she poured it out on him, never to be returned to the jar and taken back. The discussion questions asked what your most precious possession is and if you are willing to offer that to Jesus today. What am I holding back? Do I worry what others will think as I give Jesus my all? I don't know about you, but it leaves me pondering a lot of things. I also wonder how often I leave the perfume in the jar to sit it at His feet, and all to often take it back when I decide I want to be in control again. So, what is in your alabaster jar? Are you willing to pour it out as an offering to the One who poured His life out for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment