Sunday, March 29, 2009

Making Your Home Sing Monday: Excelling or Existing?

Making your home sing Mondays
Mom's The Word had a GREAT post today that really convicted me of my attitude here lately about serving my family here at home. I adore being a homemaker. Being a wife and mother are the only roles I have ever felt truly happy in. Does my home reflect those feelings???? I can tell you, at this moment, that would be a big NO. My precious husband has done more than his fair share around here this weekend and I know it is stuff I should have gotten to last week. :o( Do the kids really keep me THAT busy? Or am I not managing my time nearly as well as I should? I can tell you without thinking, its the latter. All too often I find myself merely existing as a homemaker. I go through the motions, and mentally check off another day done on the calendar.
Tonight I ran to town to pick up some take-out for supper and had some good "God time" on the way home. I prayed and asked God to make our family a testimony to the goodness of God and to His faithfulness. Stay-at-home-mom's are a rare breed these days and most people down here look at us as if we are aliens when they find out I stay home. It is usually followed my some statement about "You are lucky your husband does that well" For us it isn't about money. My husband isn't making what many in this area are, we have just adjusted our lives to try to live in accordance with God's commands. He has blessed us so much, and I believe it is because we are honoring Him with our lifestyle. Does my attitude within these walls reflect that greatfulness?
My commitment is to really make my home sing this monday, starting with my attitude. I don't need to sleep-in just because the kids do, nor do I need to zone out online in the afternoons just because they are resting. My kitchen counters are in desperate need of attention, and I plan to attack them with the help of a pot of coffee first thing in the morning! Thanks for the encouragement, MTW! I pray you are encouraged by her post and blog as much as I am!

6 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this post too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. her post was fantastic and definitely something I need to work on as well. Funny, but God was probably hearing us at the same time last night as I was asking for the same help. I just have allowed "life" to overwhelm and for no real reason.
    Praying God guides both of us...

    Happy Monday!

    ps My post can be found here:
    http://loveisnewadditionstothefamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your sweet words, my friend.

    "I prayed and asked God to make our family a testimony to the goodness of God and to His faithfulness." I love what you said here. This is what I want too. Today my home needs weekend-recovery, if you know what I mean.

    As I am working I will be praying and reflecting on your words, as I want to make my home a testimony to His faithfulness and goodness too!

    Thank you for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked her post too! I loved the comparison to being a manager at work. Wow... what an attitude adjustment I need :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a stay at home is such a privilege, I think sometimes we forget that it is a job, too. Moms reminds us all of the responsibilities we have to match that privilege.

    ReplyDelete